Penguin Flight Aviation Maxims
Aviation, like many pursuits, has its own set of sayings, or maxims. Here are a few. If you have more to add, please
send me mail!
- To a pilot, the three most useless things in the world are
- The runway behind you,
- The altitude above you, and
- The fuel in the truck.
- Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the first.
- If man were meant to fly, he'd have a hell of a lot more money.
- It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. Just start with a big fortune.
- It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than to be up there wishing you were down here.
- Stick goes forward, houses get bigger. Stick goes back, houses get smaller. Stick goes back more,
houses get bigger again - fast!
- A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid those situations that might require
his superior skills.
- Time to spare, go by air.
- There are two types of tailwheel pilots: those who have ground-looped and those that will.
- There are two types of retractable gear pilots: those who have landed gear up and those that will.
- There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
- If God had intended for man to fly, he would have given him more money.
- When a single loses its engine, it glides to the accident site. In a twin, you have an engine to carry
- Pilots are confused creatures: When they're flying, all they talk about is women. When they're with
a woman, all they talk about is flying.
- The sky is not the limit -- the ground is.
- A helicopter does not fly, it beats the air into submission.
- Takeoffs are optional -- landings are required.
- You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi!
- The only time an airplane has too much fuel is when it's on fire.
- Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. If you can use the plane again, it's a great one!
- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
- In the event of engine failure at night, turn on your landing light. If you don't like what you see,
turn it back off.