Penguin Flight Aviation Maxims
Aviation, like many pursuits, has its own set of sayings, or maxims. Here are
a few. If you have more to add, please
send me mail!
- To a pilot, the three most useless things in the world are
- The runway behind you,
- The altitude above you, and
- The fuel in the truck.
- Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the
- If man were meant to fly, he'd have a helluva lot more money.
- It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. Just start with a big
- It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than to be up
there wishing you were down here.
- Stick goes forward, houses get bigger. Stick goes back, houses get
smaller. Stick goes back more, houses get bigger again - fast!
- A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid those
situations that might require his superior skills.
- Time to spare, go by air.
- There are two types of tailwheel pilots: those who have ground-looped
and those that will.
- There are two types of retractable gear pilots: those who have landed
gear up and those that will.
- There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old
- If God had intended for man to fly, he would have given him more
- When a single loses its engine it glides to the accident site. In a twin
you have an engine to carry you there.
- Pilots are confused creatures: When they're flying, all they talk about
is women. When they're with a woman, all they talk about is flying.
- The sky is not the limit -- the ground is.
- A helicopter does not fly, it beats the air into submission.
- Takeoffs are optional -- landings are required.
- You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to
- The only time an airplane has too much fuel is when it's on fire.
- Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. If you can use the
plane again, it's a great one!
- Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad
- In the event of engine failure at night, turn on your landing light. If
you don't like what you see, turn it back off.
for contributions to this list.